The purpose of the Committee on Sustainability is to advocate for sustainable infrastructure to ensure protection of the “triple bottom line”: environmental, economic, and social conditions in Massachusetts. The Committee brings awareness to the public and civil engineering community as to the importance of sustainable planning, design, and construction through events and newsletter articles. The Committee also promotes tools, certifications and awards relevant to sustainable development in the built world.
To increase awareness of and provide guidance in the areas of sustainability and “green” design.
Specific objectives include:
- Become a civil engineering “sustainability” resource to BSCES members.
- Increase public awareness of sustainable engineering and green energy initiatives.
- Take on a leadership role in developing a BSCES policy sustainable design in Massachusetts.
- Work with BSCES Technical Groups to present sustainability workshops and interface on sustainability issues.
- Establish and maintain a local outreach and liaison effort with outside professional organizations influencing sustainable design (e.g. Zofnass, Northeast CSC, MIIC, MassCEC).
- Create an annual BSCES Sustainable Design award for Massachusetts civil engineering projects.
- Provide feedback to ASCE and provide a BSCES knowledge base for the Envision project rating tool.
The Committee on Sustainability nominated projects for the annual BSCES sustainable design award 2021. The Committee meets for monthly Zoom calls on the fourth Monday of every month to discuss specific agendas.
- Date TBD: Webinar on Carbon Free Boston to become carbon neutral by significantly reducing greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change.
- Date TBD: Webinar event with EWRI, Topic TBD
- June 16, 2022: Mixer/Networking event with a technical group, Location TBD
Call for new members
The Committee on Sustainability is an active committee and looking for new members to volunteer. Please write an email to Sustain.Comm@BSCES.org
if you are interested in joining our Committee.