Attracting those that have been traditionally underrepresented in the engineering community to the civil engineering profession is essential for maintaining the vitality of the profession. In doing so, we attract the best and brightest to the profession and ensure that the world we create through our designs better serves the population at large. The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee recognizes the lack of diversity in our industry and proposes to address this issue by spreading awareness and advocating for a more diverse and inclusive industry.
The committee commits to its mission statement by establishing the following objectives:
1. To acknowledge the challenges faced by engineers due to the lack of diversity in the industry.
2. To spread constructive awareness in BSCES regarding the characteristics of our industry that have slowed the growth of a diverse industry.
3. To provide educational resources for BSCES members to learn about how they can help to provide a diverse and inclusive culture in the industry.
4. To promote a climate within our industry that allows all engineers to thrive and succeed regardless of race or gender.
5. Promote diversity within technical groups and institute chapters, the Public Awareness & Outreach Committee, and other operational committees.
6. Promote sensitivity within the industry to issues of environmental justice and the interests and concerns of minority communities as they relate to design of infrastructure and other engineering design projects.
7. Attract students from underrepresented groups to civil engineering careers.
To get involved with the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee, please contact the chair.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee Chair
101 Walnut Street
PO Box 9151
Watertown, Massachusetts 02471